This week we catch up with two photographers who share insights into taking your skills to the next level. First, Photofocus publisher Rich Harrington sits down with Joe McNally to talk about passion, photography, and business. Then Robert Vanelli catches up with wedding photographer and director of WPPI Jason Groupp.
Joe McNally is an internationally acclaimed photographer whose career has spanned 30 years and included assignments in over 50 countries. He has shot cover stories for TIME, Newsweek, Fortune, New York, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, and Men’s Journal. He has been at various times in his career a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated, a staff photographer at LIFE, and currently, an ongoing 23 year contributor to the National Geographic, shooting numerous cover stories for those publications.
- How does Joe keep his passion going?
- Does he see himself as a historian?
- Whats holding people back from succeeding?
- How he works both the paying gigs and the teaching?
- How do certain projects come together?
- How does Joe convince the client to let him have creative control?
- What happens when the client says no?
- How having an assistant or a team can help?
- What is coming up for Joe and where you can find him?
A photographer since the age of 15, Jason attended the Fashion Institute of Technologys intensive photography program. After graduation Jason expanded his portfolio to include commercial and editorial work. Soon his expertise for clients like J. Crew, Conair/Cuisinart and Mens Health began to inform his wedding photography, which led to a distinctly intimate editorial style that has earned Jason a coveted spot as one of The Knots 2007 Best of Weddings Pick. Jason is also the Director of WPPI and has maintained his photography studio in West Chelsea for the past 12 years.
Vanelli and Jason discuss:
- Jasons dedication to running and how it makes him feel better.
- Relating that to photography.
- What is Jasons official title?
- You owe it to your clients to be at the top of your game.
- WPPI BIG announcement
- Stories on going to workshops
- Where can people find more about WPPI and Photo+ Expo?
- Where can you find Jason?