This week’s show features three of the photo industry’s best and brightest. First up, Melissa Niu interviews Damien Lovegrove, a portrait photographer from the UK. Next Rich Harrington interviews Mike Kubeisy about his work in Hollywood. Finally, Julieanne Kost shares her insights into photography and Adobe.
[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/118585547″ params=”color=ff9d5b&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
Professional portrait and wedding photography expert, Damien Lovegrove learned his trade as a cameraman and lighting director during 14 years at the BBC. He spent his free days taking photographs for a variety of top name clients including Peugeot, Motorola, and Adidas. Damien has become one of the foremost trainers of photography and entrepreneurial business strategies in the industry.
Melissa asks Damien about:
Who is Damien and what is his background?
How did he start in the industry?
The process and art of lighting
How he transitioned into photography
How he balanced paying the bills and becoming an artist
His role now with photography
The evolution of his gear
Why he uses mirrorless cameras now
How Damien approaches light
Advice about lighting
Where can we find Damien
Follow Damien on Twitter
Check out his personal blog www.prophotonut.com
Mike Kubeisy covers everything from crime scenes to crime scenes to Hollywood celebrities. Since 1984, as a Motion Picture and Television Stills Photographer. He is currently shooting on shows being televised worldwide. He’s taught everywhere from Photoshop World to the Federal Bureau of Investigations Photo Operations Unit. He is an active member of the Cinematographers Guild Local 600 and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. You can view his work at www.4stills.com.
Rich and Mike discuss:
- What Mike has learned being in Hollywood
- What it is like working union jobs and how to become a union member
- What are some of the most useful skills on set?
- Lighting trends and pet peeves
- How to keep up on hot looks
- What it means to be a team player
- How he does post processing
- Shooting wirelessly and tethered on set
- What he loves about Hollywood
- Three practical advice tips on getting into the industry
Follow Mike on Twitter
Since joining Adobe in 1992, Julieanne Kost has learned her craft through hands-on experience and now serves as the Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist for Lightroom and Photoshop. Her role includes customer education, product development, and market research for photography, digital imaging, and illustration. She publishes is the author of Window Seat The Art of Digital Photography as well as an author of Photoshop training with Lynda.com. In addition, she is a frequent contributor to several publications, a speaker at numerous conferences and industry events, and a guest lecturer at distinguished photography workshops and fine art schools around the world.
Melissa and Julieanne discuss:
- Who is Julianne?
- What she started out doing with Adobe
- What she loves about photography
- Her approach to compositing
- How she uses her dreams as inspiration
- The benefits of personal assignments
- Changes in the photo industry
- Her advice to become a stronger photographer
Follow Julieanne on Twitter