On a recent podcast, our man, Chase Reynolds, from LensRenstals.com hooks us up with popular items that have been rented on a regular basis. And one of them being the Metabones Canon EF to Micro 4/3 Speed Booster Adapter. Take a listen. Their conversation starts around 27:30.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/169373024″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”175″ iframe=”true” /]
Chase and his team often get gear stocked before many retailers do. And because of this, they are able to test out much of the new gear on the market. Metabones connectors allow you to hook up lenses to different camera bodies. And one of them that they talked about on the podcast is the Metabones Canon EF to Micro 4/3 Speed Booster Adapter. This can allow you to utilize Canon glass on almost any MFT camera (such as the GH4 o BlackMagic Cameras). It gives electronic connection between the lens and the camera and it’s also a speed booster.
Some things to take note: It doesn’t take EF-S lenses and it doesn’t work with the Olympus OMD line.
Key features include:
- Canon EF Compatibility. This adapter was designed for Micro 4/3 mount cameras like the Panasonic GH4 and AG-AF100A. It enables Canon EF and third-party EF-mount lenses to be used on the Micro 4/3 cameras. However, do note that Canon EF-S lenses cannot be mounted, nor can the adapter be used with the Olympus OM-D line of cameras.
- Wider Focal Length & Increased Aperture. This version of the Speed Booster widens the focal length of the lens mounted by 0.71x, effectively reducing the overall sensor crop factor from 2x to 1.42. Additionally, the adapter increases the maximum aperture of the mounted lens by 1 stop.
- Electronic Communication. The adapter has the electric contacts on the mount that allows both aperture control and Image Stabilization function with compatible lenses. The adapter doesn’t require a separate power source, and EXIFdata is transferred and embedded into your footage. Autofocus is not supported!
- Sturdy Design with Built-In Tripod Foot. The aluminum barrel and brass mounts give it a solid feel, with an arca-swiss compatible tripod foot that lets you mount the adapter itself directly to a tripod. This ensures the weight of the lens dos not put additional stress on the cameras mount.
- Canon EF-S mount lenses are not compatible with this adapter.
- The absolute best thing about the Metabones pieces is that a new camera body purchase is doesn’t have to mean new lens purchases. To try it out before you buy, be sure to check out the options of Metabones here.