This week’s we catch up with two photographers. First, one of the most passionate and respected photographers on the planet… Joe McNally. We then catch up with new Photofocus contributor Mykii Liu.
Joe McNally is an internationally acclaimed photographer whose career has spanned 30 years and included assignments in over 50 countries. He has shot cover stories for TIME, Newsweek, Fortune, New York, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, and Men’s Journal. He has been at various times in his career a contract photographer for Sports Illustrated, a staff photographer at LIFE, and currently, an ongoing 23 year contributor to the National Geographic, shooting numerous cover stories for those publications.
Rich and Joe talk about:
- Joe’s upcoming projects
- How they came about
- Choosing the pictures to go into your portfolio
- Letting the flaws be
- What are Joes favorite images
- Developing a thick skin
- Why critique is essential to growth
- How has changes in technology change Joes approach
- How to create that spark to make a more interesting photo
- What is the story you’re telling?
- Check out Where is the show to find Joes work?
- Where to find Joe?
- Check out the Monroe Gallery | October 3 November 23
Mykii Liu is a new contributor to Photofocus (who’s sense of humor pervades both his articles and his bio). His jumping skills and abnormal love of tofu and argyles are antithetically a part of his nature. But don’t be confused by his outpouring pranks, his photography and love of the craft make up for his passion for humor and horseplay.
Liu is currently a student of photography at the College of Southern Nevada while simultaneously and professionally shooting weddings, fashion, models and categorically formidable and socially accepted people.
You can find Mykiis portfolio .
Melissa and Mykii talk about:
- Who is Mykii?
- What style is his Photography?
- How personality comes out in portraits
- Being a college student and a photographer
- His background in photography
- Re-learning the basics
- Having Mentors
- What inspires Mykii to shoot
- Gear talk
- Studying photos online to remake and learn
- Some of his favorite Photofocus articles
- Where to find Mykii