I love getting interesting angles and point-of-view shots. One of the best thing about shooting with GoPro cameras is that their size allows for the cameras to be positioned or even held by a subject.
I have tried several different versions of GoPro poles (made by different third-party vendors). They all essentially work the same. Features to look for that I find useful.
- Built-in GoPro mount or a thread mount to attach a GoPro
- Articulated head to angle the camera
- Lightweight so its comfortable to hold
- A wrist strap to avoid accidentally losing gear
- Telescoping body to adjust the length of the pole and make it easier to pack.
Proper use of a pole makes it easy to chase action as well as dramatically smooth out any camera movement. Here are some behind-the-scenes clips from a new class I’m building for lynda.com.
I can’t recommend this piece of gear enough… I’ve used it Snorkeling, skiing, and for action sports.
Here are the two poles that I own and like. Both work equally well but have slightly different benefits.