- Scott talks about the features of the new Panasonic mirrorless G80 / G85 micro 4/3 camera and compares it to some competing cameras. The camera is priced at US $899 and you can find out more about this camera on Panasonic’s website here: http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMC-G85KBODY.html
- Marco shares his experience with the Fuji X-Pro 2 firmware 2.0 update that came out recently. The update gave the camera some autofocus updates that are already implemented in the Fuji X-T2 as well as some bug fixes. Aside from the Firmware update for the camera, Fuji also announced firmware updates for many of their XF lenses. Marco has given the new firmware a spin and got improved results on some very difficult lighting situations on his latest photo project “Life in a tube” that you can check out here: http://www.marcolarousse.com/blog/2016/10/18/life-in-a-tube. You can download the firmware updates directly from the Fuji website here: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html
- Leica has announced a new option for their Leica Q full frame mirrorless camera (Type 116). You can now buy the Leica Q in Titanium gray. Changes over the regular black version are: The top and bottom plate of the camera will be “Titanium Grey” instead of black, the distance scale markings will be red instead of the usual yellow and the strap will be made of a different material. You can find out more about this camera on Leica’s website here: http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Q/LEICA-Q
- Sony just announced their new flagship APS-C mirrorless camera called the Sony a6500. This camera is announced only 8 months after Sony announced the a6300, the previous flagship model. And while many features and specs stayed the same, Sony did add a larger buffer, in-body-5-axis stabilization and a touch enabled screen. The camera body will retail for US $1398 or €1699. You can find out more about this camera on Sony’s website here: http://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6500
- Ricoh has just released a new version of their very popular and easy to use 360° panorama camera. The new Ricoh THETA SC is a slightly stripped down version of the top of the line THETA S camera. In comparison to the THETA S the new THETA SC does not offer an HDMI port and the Full HD 360° video is limited to 5 minutes of recording time. The 8GB built-in memory can store up to 1600 images and the new SC comes in 4 colors. The SC’s list price is $299 and you can find out more about this camera on Ricoh’s THETA360 website here: https://theta360.com/en/about/theta/sc.html
- Lensbaby has announced the Trio 28 which is a unique creative 3 in 1 lens created specifically for mirrorless cameras. It offers similar effects to the Lensbaby Twist, Velvet and Sweet optics in one lens. To switch between the three lenses you simply have to rotate the lens. The lens is a 28mm fixed f3.5 lens with a distance scale on the manual focus dial. And the lens is, of course, manual focus only. The lens is available for Sony E, M4/3 and Fuji X mount and it is priced at US $279,95 or €299,90. You can find out more about this lens on Lensbaby’s website here: http://lensbaby.com/product/trio-28/
- We have a Photofocus Mirrorless Flickr group that is open to our listeners and photos taken with all mirrorless camera brands. If you want to join just let us know through the “request invitation” button on the group and drop us a quick line there. We’ll add you to the group then. And please ask for the invite via the web browser and not via the Flickr App. The invite process via the app has not been working reliably.
- We have picked our monthly featured photographer and image from our Photofocus Mirrorless group. Our monthly Photofocus Mirrorless feature photo and photographer of the month is: Timothy Linn’s photo titled: “Palouse Striped Terrycloth is the Best Striped Terrycloth”
Please share this podcast with your friends and subscribe via iTunes. We would also love to get your feedback. Is there anything that you want us to cover on the show in the future? And we would appreciate if you could take a short moment to rate or to post a quick review on iTunes for us.
About this show:
On the monthly #Mirrorless episode of the Photofocus podcast, Scott and Marco will discuss the news from the mirrorless camera world related to innovations, trends, gear and accessories. And they will introduce mirrorless camera manufacturers by interviewing the respective managers of those manufacturers. And they invite pro photographers who make their living working with mirrorless cameras to share some tips and tricks on their workflow.