Becoming a Better Drone Pilot- Do I Really Need a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate
Share this post with your friends:
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Becoming a Better Drone Pilot: Do I Really Need a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate

Do you really need a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate? If you are earning money or want to earn money with your drone, you are required by the FAA to have your remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating (Part 107). Many companies, such as and others, are now requiring proof and asking you to submit a copy of your Part 107 before allowing you to do work for them. Without it, these companies will not hire you for projects.

This certification also will teach you how to know what airspace you are flying in and what things you need to consider before flying.

How do I get my Part 107?

  1. Study it yourself
    • Rupprecht Law has a great self-study outline here. This guy knows his stuff. He is a commercial drone attorney and a commercial pilot/flight instructor.
    • The FAA has a study guide here.
  2. Paid Training Options – Here is a listing of a number of highly regarded training sites. For many of us, these are a real help in both learning and understanding this material.
    • Gold Seal UAVGroundShool – You can find them here. They are offering a $20 discount for our readers. Use the code: photofocus20 when you check out. Thanks, Gold Seal!
    • You will find them here.
    • Drone PIlot Gound School can be found here.
    • Dart Drones has an in-person day-long training here.
    • Drone Launch Academy can be found here.
  3. Take the test – Take your test at an FAA approved Part 107 Testing Center.  When I took the test the cost was $150. You will find a list of them here.

Getting Your Certificate

It can take many months for you to receive your actual Part 107 Card (mine took 3 months) that certifies you are a Part 107 Remote Pilot. While I was waiting, I needed to provide proof of my certification and what I did was go to the FAA site, logged-in under my account and took a screenshot showing that I had passed, but was waiting for the certificate. You can also log in here to the FAA Airmen Search page, type in your name, and search for your name and print out the result.

Other things to consider…Insurance

When you are flying commercially you will want to have insurance, either your own or coverage by the company you are flying for. Some companies that contract cover you with their blanket insurance policies. There are two basic kinds of insurance you will want to investigate, liability and drone specific (also known as hull insurance). Liability insurance deals with liability claims related to the drone and drone specific/hull insurance deals with the drone itself as well as ground equipment (like additional batteries, remote control, lenses, etc.) and payload. An example of hull insurance is if my drone has a motor failure and falls into the river then this is where hull insurance comes into play. Please note that your homeowner’s policy may not cover drone-related issues. Best to check with your agent to find out what is covered.

Please note that I am not an insurance expert. Please do your own investigation based on your needs when choosing insurance for your drone operations.

Fly Safe and Have Fun!

DJI Mavic Air at B&H

DJI Mavic Pro at B&H

DJI Phantom 4 Pro at B&H

BJI Inspire 2 at B&H

All Drones at B&H

Share this post with your friends:
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

You might also like:

Thanks to our partners who make Photofocus possible:

Drobo – Drobo is the smartest storage solution in the world. Drobo is storage that protects data — photos, videos and everything else — from hard drive failure. Drobo is peace of mind for the working pro or serious amateur who have a lot of external drives cluttering up the desktop. Save 10% with the coupon code PHOTOFOCUS.

Lume Cube – Proudly known as the World’s Most Versatile Light™, Lume Cube represents the future of LED Lighting. Check out the new Lume Cube STROBE, offering anti-collison lighting for drones!

Backblaze – Get peace of mind knowing your files are backed up securely in the cloud. Back up your Mac or PC just $6/month.

B&H – B&H is a world renowned supplier of all the gear photographers, videographers, and cinematographers need and want to create their very best work.

Skylum – Your photos, more beautiful in minutes. Makers of Luminar, Aurora and Photolemur, Skylum adapts to your style and skill level. Check out the new Luminar 3, now available.

Perfectly Clear Complete – Built for precision. Made for beauty. Perfectly Clear has mastered the science of intelligent image correction – creating superior quality photos in record time, so you can get back to doing what you really love…in no time. Special Photofocus deal here.

Viewbug – Learn and improve your photography with over 500 videos. Trusted by millions around the world, join over 2 million photographers who already use Viewbug.