I know what some of you are thinking… what the heck is that!?!
It’s a camera support rail… that I’ve heavily modified for a special reason. I’ve been looking for a way to shoot with multiple cameras on a single tripod. This combination lets me attach up to 5 cameras to a single tripod. This is really useful for video shooting as well as time-lapse (as I can get multiple angles/compositions of coverage at once).
The rail system attaches to my tripod (it matches an Arca-Swiss style plate). On the rail are two small clamps (with room for a third) to hold each camera body. At each end is a GoPro mount. This can hold 4-5 cameras at once. Cameras can be angled in each direction for 360˚ of coverage of an environment.
This is a cleaner shot of it (although it was shot in my hotel room in Tokyo, so no perfect studio lights here).
Here are the pieces I used to build this (and for those of you familiar with Really Right Stuff the quality is high and so are the prices).
|BHERO3-B: GoPro Buckle Adapter Plate||2||$39.00||$78.00|
|CB-EC: Camera Bar End Connector||2||$30.00||$60.00|
|B2-mAS: 38mm clamp with dual mounting||2||$60.00||$120.00|
|CB-18 Package: CB-18 and Mini Clamps||1||$245.00||$245.00|
|CB-18: 18-inch Camera support bar|
|B2-mAS: 38mm clamp with dual mounting|
|B2-FAB 38mm clamp with threaded socket|
- The clamps are a safe way to attach any camera with an Arca-Swiss style plate.
- The rail has a built-in bubble level to get a straight shot.
- The clamps can be repositioned side to side.
- The center cameras can be mounted either direction.
- The GoPro buckles work with standard GoPro mounts so you can connect the cameras.
- I used the bendable knuckles included with each GoPro to create a camera that can be angled to shoot in any direction for greater flexibility.
- The whole unit weighs about 5 pounds without cameras attached.
- The open spaces in the bar make it lighter and allowed me to attach a Vulture Equipment Works strap for easy carrying.
I am quite pleased with how it’s turned out. I was able to easily gather a lot more options when shooting video and time-lapse (safe to say I tripled my output os usable shots).
Geeky… yes. Pricey… uh huh. Virtually indestructible… absolutely.
This Post Sponsored by:
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to manage and share their photos. You can easily view images with their iOS app or web service. Plus your photos are backed up to the cloud with several plans to match your needs.
500px Join the world’s premier photo community. 500px lets you discover, share, buy and sell inspiring photographs.
Drobo Not only is Drobo 5D fast, but it’s easy-to-use, expandable, flexible, and protected.
The Topaz Labs Image Enhancement bundle. Open up a world of creative possibilities with a seamless, integrated workflow. You don’t need to be a Photoshop wizard to look like one. Click here and use the code photofocus to get a 15% discount.