If you’re new and fresh into the Apple ecosystem and want to use Apple Photos to hold all your images, you’ll want to save a bit of time on re-organizing your folders of images that you may already have made.
In an update to Apple Photos in High Sierra, Apple realized that users that a folder containing other folders with images in them would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time recreating that same organization within the Photos App. Thankfully, Apple has added this simple and not very known fix along with a couple of other hidden ones..
It is pretty quick and easy:
Things you’ll need to make this work
- MacOS High Sierra
- Apple’s Photos App
- A number of pictures to import or export
Importing your organized folder into Apple Photos
- Drag the Folder (the one with all the subfolders of images) onto the Photos App icon in the Dock.
- Doesn’t matter if the Photos App is already open or not.
- If you drag it into the Photos App window, Photos will behave differently and will import the images without any organization.
- Click the checkbox next to the words “Keep Folder Organization” on the top right.
- The Screen should say “Import” in bold.
- Click the blue button, “Import All New Items”
- Imported photos will show up under “Imports” in the sidebar.
- Enjoy the wonderful organization added to the sidebar on the left-hand side of the window.
- Each imported folder will have an album within it.
- In Photos, Folders hold Albums and Albums hold images. Keep this in mind.
If you’re more of a visual person, feel free to watch this little silent movie.
I used a folder on the Desktop called, “Website Images”. Dragged it into the dock, checked the “Keep Folder Organization” box and clicked “Import All New Items”. I compared the sidebar with the original contents of the folder, and double checked it all!
Latest posts by Mykii Liu (see all)
- Moving from Apple Photos in macOS Mojave 10.14 to Lightroom Classic CC - February 16, 2019
- I just saved this $100 SD card from being unusable - August 30, 2018
- How to import folder hierarchies into Apple Photos - March 9, 2018