This week’s show is a triple feature… we tackle three areas of the photo industry that are hot topics. First up, Scott Bourne interviews Rich Harrington about how to get started in DSLR video. Rich Harrington then takes the microphone and talks to Terry White from Adobe about changes at Adobe as well as Terry’s photography. Our third segment, Melissa Niu interviews Matt Kloskowski of Kelby Training to find out about how the photo industry is evolving.
Getting Started with DSLR Video
Scott Bourne asks Rich about the 10 hardest things photographers need to know when switching to video. Rich shares practical advice for all levels of shooters and offers insight on how to overcome tough challenges.
Scott and Rich discuss:
- Why tripods are a must
- Panning & tilting to add motion
- Which camera settings to use
- The exposure triangle explained for video and how it’s different from shooting stills
- Recording lengths and why they are restricted
- What are “handles”
- Getting great audio (and why it’s just as important as the video)
- Why focus is really hard
- The 180˚ Rule
- Story telling: Photography verses video
Follow Rich on Twitter — www.twitter.com/rhedpixel
Terry White – Worldwide Design Evangelist for Adobe Systems, Inc. In his job, he leads the charge of getting customers excited and educated about Adobe Creative Cloud products and services. Terry is an Adobe Certified Expert. He has been active in the industry for over 25 years and is the founder and president of MacGroup-Detroit.
Rich and Terry discuss:
- What does Terry do with Adobe
- How Adobe saw the creative process changing
- How creative professionals have been asked to do more
- What is happening as content creators have access to more tools
- Three myths about Creative Cloud debunked
- Where Terry finds his creativity
- Terry’s advice to learning software
- Advice to those feeling creatively overwhelmed
- Where to find Terry
Matt Kloskowski is a full-time Education Director for Kelby Media Group and a Tampa-based photographer. He’s the Editor of Lightroom Magazine and teaches Photoshop and Lightroom seminars around the world.
- Matt’s official job at Kelby Training (besides hosting podcasts and blogging)
- How the past 10 years has changed the way Kelby Media has done business
- Why video plays such an important role in the creative industry
- The difference between technique-based and result-based learning
- The changes photography is going through
- Why it’s okay to break the rules?
- How to succeed as a photo educator in today’s market
- The Future of Kelby Training
- What is Matt’s passion with photography?
- Where to find Matt
This Post Sponsored by:
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to manage and share their photos. You can easily view images with their iOS app or web service. Plus your photos are backed up to the cloud with several plans to match your needs.
500px Join the world’s premier photo community. 500px lets you discover, share, buy and sell inspiring photographs.
Drobo Not only is Drobo 5D fast, but it’s easy-to-use, expandable, flexible, and protected.
The Topaz Labs Image Enhancement bundle. Open up a world of creative possibilities with a seamless, integrated workflow. You don’t need to be a Photoshop wizard to look like one. Click here and use the code photofocus to get a 15% discount.