The beta for Apple OS X Yosemite is expected to drop tomorrow (Thursday, July 24). This is a public beta program that allows the first 1 million users signed up to test drive the next release of OS X. The goal is to try it out and submit your feedback to Apple.
Some official details…
What is the OS X Beta Program?
OS X Yosemite will be available this fall. The OS X Beta Program lets you take part in shaping it by test-driving pre-release versions and letting us know what you think. Your comments will help us make OS X better for all Mac users. Sign up today, and the beta software will be available for you to install soon.
How can I participate?
To join the OS X Beta Program, just sign up using your Apple ID. When the beta software is ready, you’ll receive a redemption code that will allow you to download and install OS X Yosemite Beta from the Mac App Store. Then go ahead and start using it. When you come across an issue that needs addressing, report it directly to Apple with the built-in Feedback Assistant application.
What else do I need to know about using OS X Yosemite Beta?
Be sure that your Mac is running OS X Mavericks. If you don’t have OS X Mavericks, you can download it free from the Mac App Store. We recommend installing OS X Yosemite Beta on a secondary Mac, since it may contain errors or inaccuracies. Please be sure to back up your Mac using Time Machine before you install the beta. This is beta software that is still in development, which means some applications and services may not work as expected. Some features require iOS 8, which is not being offered as part of the OS X Beta Program.
This is beta software… that means it’s not done and may cause you problems.
- Backup your machine before you install. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner.
- Not all apps that you use will be compatible.
- Downloading the software won’t void the warranty on your current machine.
- Apple will provide detailed instructions on how to revert back to Mavericks.
- Read the FAQs on Apple’s site.
Rich has published over 100 courses on Lynda.com. Rich has authored several books including From Still to Motion, Understanding Photoshop, Professional Web Video, and Creating DSLR Video.
Latest posts by Richard Harrington (see all)
- Athentech Unveils Two New Version of Perfectly Clear (Including a Free Version) - July 19, 2017
- Plotagraph Plus for iOS is Amazing (and Now Shipping) - July 13, 2017
- DSLR Video Weekly: Using Picture Styles or Controls - June 24, 2017