A few years back, Apple decided to slowly kill of Aperture and iPhoto. in their places emerged Photos for Mac. The app left something to be desired, but has kept maturing. One of its biggest changes was the support of Extensions (or what others would call plug-ins). Essentially these are small, dedicated apps that you can run on your Mac or as an add-on to the Photos app.
We’re big fans of Perfectly Clear from Athentech. The tech behind this automated image correction is what powers these new LUCiD apps/extensions. All five of these apps work as standalone applications. They can also be used as extensions in Apple Photos for Mac (the native photo-editing tool on Mac computers). Each app is super fast and easy to use.
The goal here is that with the click of a button, common image problems are fixed. Need to tweak, just move the strength slider. All apps feature presets designed by the writers here at Photofocus. If users want to refine the adjustment, they can use one slider to finesse the strength for a perfect adjustment and a perfect photo.
Here’s a quick tutorial I made for them on the extensions workflow
5 New Apps to Choose From + One is Free
There are five apps available in the Mac App Store
- LUCiD Color for Photos: LUCiD Color is perfect for bringing images to life with rich, vibrant colors. LUCiD Color automatically reveals the great colors that were there when the photographer captured the photo.
- LUCiD Details for Photos: LUCiD Details is perfect for adding depth and sharpness to images while removing noise. LUCiD Details automatically reveals the subtle details hidden in every image.
- LUCiD Exposure for Photos: LUCiD Exposure lives up to its name and brings images to life. It’s the perfect way to rescue memories when the camera didn’t quite get it right. Our patented science automatically solves the most common exposure problems by quickly fixing dark photos, adding light to images, and removing unwanted noise.
- LUCiD Eyes for Photos: LUCiD Eyes is an easy-to-use photo editing app that enhances the eyes. It’s perfect for anyone who wants to instantly remove dark circles and red-eye, add catchlights (sparkle), sharpen details, enhance the eyes, and even remove squinting.
- LUCiD Skin for Photos: LUCiD Skin helps photos look their best by showing beautiful, natural-looking skin. It’s ideal for anyone who wants to perfect their portraits and selfies by smoothing skin, reducing shine and blemishes, and adding a tan complexion. It even lets photographers whiten teeth and add blush to the cheeks.
The apps list for $14.99 each. But are on sale for $6.99 right now. LUCiD Exposure is 100% free for a limited time so can try it out. All the apps are here for Mac.
Rich has published over 100 courses on Lynda.com. Rich has authored several books including From Still to Motion, Understanding Photoshop, Professional Web Video, and Creating DSLR Video.
Latest posts by Rich Harrington (see all)
- Virtual Tours: Fixing and cleaning stitching errors - May 20, 2019
- Virtual Tours: Merging a 360˚ HDR image with Photomatix Pro - May 16, 2019
- Virtual Tours: Merging an HDR image with Aurora HDR - May 12, 2019