You’ve got to admire Microsoft. The company certainly has no shortage of tech and engineers and they just threw a bunch of really cool things together into a new camera app. It’s called Microsoft Pix and it seeks to replace your iPhone’s built-in camera app.
The goal of Microsoft Pix is to make it easier to capture better photos and to not miss the moment. Here’s a breakdown on how it works. The fact that it automatically syncs with your camera roll is very appealing.
- People-First – Photos with people are automatically enhanced.
- Smart – Settings are tweaked automatically and multiple shots are analyzed to find the nest focus and composition. Includes optimization for faces as well.
- Best Image(s) – Automatically selects up to 3 of the best and most unique shots from the burst, and immediately deletes the rest, so you don’t waste your phone’s memory or your time comparing and storing similar frames.
- Moment capture – Captures a burst of frames every time you tap the shutter button, including frames before and after your tap.
- Cinemagraph Creation —.Creates a simple looping Live Image from a burst of framesvery similar to a cinemagraph from your photos. Unlike Live Photo from Apple, the image is stabilized.
- Image quality – Uses discarded burst frames to enhance each Best Image, improving exposure and color, and reducing noise and blur.
- Hyperlapse – Videos shot with Microsoft Pix can be stabilized and converted to hyperlapse animations.
- Auto-sync – Seamlessly syncs to your camera roll, so you don’t have to individually import or save your photos and videos to your camera roll.
Availability & Compatibility
Microsoft’s camera app is available immediately from Apple’s App Store.
It works with iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation).