Photofocus is a one-stop online media resource site for serious amateur and emerging professional photographers interested in learning more about photography. The bulk of its posts are tips, tricks, news and reviews, aided by interviews with prominent photographers, educational screencasts and a very active community of engaged readers who regularly comment.
Photofocus‘ mission is to motivate, educate, inform and entertain. Photofocus expands to include learning centers with powerful partnership resources, more interviews with prominent photographers and more educational screencasts. We have been covering photography at this URL since November 2, 1998 and have an established a loyal and information-hungry audience.
We started this current version of the site in January 19, 2008, and have recently updated and upgraded it with a complete site redesign. Whatever the format we have served the photography community with one or more posts being published every day since we started operation. Photofocus contains nearly 6,000 posts.
Audience & Traffic
Photofocus delivers more than 3.1 million page views each month to an audience of enthusiastic photographers with money to spend on goods and services related to photography.
- According to a recent audience survey, 61.5% of Photofocus‘ audience is between the ages of 25-54, with the largest percentage (33.5%) being 25-34 years old; 27.5% of our audience is under 24; and 11% of our audience is more than 55 years old.
- 54% of our audience is male. 46% is female
- 35.4% of our audience plans to spend more than $1,000 on photo gear in the next six months, with 15.6% of the audience saying they’ll spend more than $2,000 in the next six months. Another 26.1% plan to spend between $500 and $1,000 on photo gear in the next six months.
- More than a quarter of our audience has paid money to attend a photo workshop and 35% of our audience photographs three or more times each week.
- More than 66% of our audience licenses or wants to license their photography.
The majority of our audience (64%) is from the USA but we have readers/listeners in 96 countries. The top 10 are:
- United States
- United Kingdom
We have a radio-style podcast called Photofocus. It is published on the 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of each month. Each show is approximately one hour in length. The show features prominent professional photographers like Scott Bourne, Marco Larousse and Richard Harrington as well as guest photographers who will cover various topics and once a month answer photo questions in a radio-style format – think “Car Talk” on NPR.
Some of the guests who have appeared on the Photofocus podcast with Scott Bourne include Scott Kelby, Kevin Kubota, Chase Jarvis, Vince Laforet, Tamara Lackey, Jules Bianchi, Sara France, Joe Farace, David DuChemin, Syl Arena, Kerry Garrison, Steve Simon, Martin Bailey, Matthew Jordan Smith, Jerry Ghionis, Frederick Van Johnson and more. The show is downloaded approximately 400,000 times a month. Our podcast is regularly featured as a top podcast at Podomatic, a prominent podcast hosting platform.
Alltop features only the top blogs in each category. Out of millions of blogs covering photography, Photofocus has risen to the top – Guy Kawasaki’s ALLTOP Blog Aggregator prominently features Photofocus.
Photofocus (back when we were branded TWIP) was the winner of the 2008 Shorty Awards in the Photography category for best short form content via its Twitter feed.
Photofocus was a finalist, nominated as best photo blog in the 2013 Framed Awards.
@ScottBourne is the most influential Twitter account linked to a photographer according to Wefollow.com.
Search Engine Rankings
Photofocus coverage is often featured at the top of the Google search rankings with its 5,000 blog entries and massive traffic from incoming links.