You got the chance of a lifetime. Its that big job or that first magazine cover or that first major photographic workshop. Whatever the case, getting ready for that opportunity requires some thought.
This post probably won’t go the way you think it will. Its not going to be a list of the gear you’ll need. Instead, its sort of a personal prep list. Sure you need gear and Ill briefly cover that. But lets talk about everything you need, not just gear.
1. Get your mind right. Spend time looking at lots of pictures relevant to the person, place or thing youre going to shoot. This isn’t so you can copy these photographs, but rather gain honest intelligence about what youre up against.
2. Do get your gear in order. If its a big job bring everything. Bring more than you need. Have backups for everything. If you don’t own it, rent it. Don’t miss the chance of a lifetime because you didn’t have a spare battery. Oh, and if you can’t afford to buy or rent it, try making it. You never know.
3. Budget enough time. Things that seem like they will be easy to shoot usually take the longest. Don’t be rushed.
4. If you short change your preparation you will pay for it latter in do-overs, unnecessary post work or worse.
5. If things aren’t going well – stop. Take a deep breath. Reset everything. Start from scratch. Don’t dig a bad hole any deeper. Get out of it and start over.
6. Have maps, directions, contact info, addresses and phone numbers in at least three places – on your home computer, your laptop and your mobile.
7. Over communicate and have success or under communicate and have a mess. Make sure youre talking to clients, assistants, vendors, models and anyone else associated with the shoot. They can’t read your mind. Make sure you let them know what is going on and ask for their help when you need it.
This is just a starting point, but the goal of this post is to get you thinking about everything you need to prepare, not just gear. Congrats on this opportunity. Now go out there and get it done.
Sponsored by the Amazon Digital SLR Store – Cameras, lenses, accessories and everything else.
Latest posts by Scott Bourne (see all)
- The Microsoft Surface Pro 4 For Photographers - December 9, 2016
- How Burlesque Inspired A Bird Photograph - December 4, 2016
- MacPhun Already Improving Luminar – Soon To Support MacBook Pro Touch Bar - December 1, 2016