Here we are – back on the creative train. I’m visiting this theme at least monthly now because I think it’s just as important as knowing what lens to use or what camera body to buy. I actually think it’s more important than either.
Knowing how to be creative starts with one simple thought – freedom. How do you find the freedom to make more creative photos? Here are a few ideas that might answer that question.
1. Give yourself permission to experiment. Freedom is a state of mind. Don’t believe me? Study the life of Nelson Mandela. Tell yourself that you plan to get creative. Sounds simple but it works.
2. Shoot for yourself. In fact, shoot with the idea that nobody but you will see these pictures. Since nobody is looking, you’re more free to do whatever comes to mind without fearing judgment.
3. Practice granting freedom to others. If you are a very rigid, constrained person, you might find it hard to give yourself the freedom to photograph creatively. To help you get over this – practice NOT judging others. It will put you in the mood to give yourself a break too.
4. For this exercise – go out to shoot with no purpose other than to express what you’re feeling at the moment. Don’t think about the future or the past. Just think about right now. How do you feel? What moves you? Shoot that.
5. Have fun. Relax. Don’t be so serious all the time. Don’t take yourself or your photography so seriously for just this one time. Just go have fun. You remember fun? You know – things we do for enjoyment or pleasure. Don’t shoot with any goal in mind other than to have a good time. If photography isn’t fun for you – well you’re in the wrong place.
That’s it. All simple ideas. Just give them a try. Find out what it takes to give yourself the freedom to be creative. I bet you’ll end up with some great images.
Latest posts by Scott Bourne (see all)
- One Photo – Seven Lessons - September 29, 2016
- Beginner’s Photography Tip: It’s Important To Select Your Focus Point - September 24, 2016
- How To Be A Photofocus Photographer Of The Day - September 19, 2016