UPDATE: Check out the prize list – it’s just gotten bigger!
Okay – I just had a great idea. At least I think it’s a great idea. In the 11 years I’ve been writing about photography on the Internet, I’ve learned one thing for sure – the world is full of great, and I mean GREAT photographers.
I am privileged to see lots of good work thanks to my workshops, time spent judging contests and other photo activities. I want to share with you what I’ve found. So with that in mind, I think it’s time for a showcase.
Thanks to the loyal support of the Photofocus audience, there are a bunch of people who read this site, listen to the podcast and follow Photofocus-activities on either Flickr or Twitter. That large, powerful audience is an asset I want to share.
So here’s the deal. Starting August 15, twice a month, I’m going to pick a photographer to showcase. In some cases I might profile someone you know well. But more often than not, I’ll select someone you don’t know. In fact, if I find great work out there, and it’s the property of someone totally unknown, I’ll be more likely to showcase that person than someone who’s already successful.
The idea here is to get a little exposure for the great photographers I find online. What the selected photographers do with that exposure is up to them. But here’s where it gets interesting.
In addition to offering these 24 photographers (two a month for one full year) exposure, I am going to select one of the 24 for the annual Photofocus Emerging Photographer of the Year Award. We’ll do this every year in recognition of all the great photographers in our community.
And as they say on the infomercials – “Wait there’s more!”
This award will include more than $5000 worth of cash and photography gear.
(The exact prize package is still taking shape but here’s what we have so far:)
1. Copy Aperture $199
2. Copy Nik Complete Collection $299
3. Think Tank Rotation 360 Backpack $279
5. One year free premium subscription to lynda.com $375
6. Lensbaby Composer $270
7. $500 gift certificate from Red River Paper
8. One Year NAPP Membership $99
9. One year subscription to Layers Magazine $30
10. One free pass to either Photoshop World East or West (Doesn’t include lodging or transportation – just admission) $699
More prizes to come…
So in summary, I want to use this process to give some great photographers a chance to reach a larger audience and I want to find one in particular that I can help in a very tangible way.
Here’s how to submit a gallery for consideration. PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. Failure to follow these guidelines will disqualify you from consideration.
This program is open worldwide to any person 18 years of age or older.
1. Send an email to email@example.com. In this email please state your legal name, city of residence, age and photographic speciality. If you are selected for the final prize we will also need your shipping address and phone number.
2. (Only do this once – if you plan to update your portfolio and want me to see the updated version wait to contact me – I will only have time to visit your site one time) SEND A LINK to an existing online photo gallery. This gallery can contain any number of images of any size, dealing with any subject. This should be your BEST work representing what you actually do and want to continue to do. Don’t show work from 10 years ago that you have no interest in now. The only photos that are completely inappropriate would be those that are not child-safe. In other words, don’t send us links to anything you wouldn’t want your own five-year old child to look at. (NOTE: I won’t have time to critique your submission for you – sorry.)
DO NOT attach photos to the email. If you are selected, we will be linking back to the online gallery you provide us.
3. If you request inclusion in this program, your request constitutes your agreement to the following:
a. You own the Copyrights to the photos.
b. IF YOU ARE SELECTED, you agree to license Photofocus the right to publish one of those photos on the Photofocus.com web site in relation to the program.
c. You agree to indemnify Photofocus.com against any claim that you are not the legal owner of the photos you submit.
d. This is not a contest. It is a grant. However, if you agree not to participate — such participation would violate any law where you live.
e. You agree to be responsible for taxes on any and all prizes you receive if you win the annual award.
If you do not have an online photo gallery, there are many places where you may obtain one free of charge or at very low cost.
If you have questions about the program, please re-read these rules. If they do not answer your question, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of email we receive, we cannot guarantee a direct response, but will try to post further information here on photofocus.com if we see a pattern of questions we can easily answer.
Thanks and good luck.
Latest posts by Scott Bourne (see all)
- MacPhun Already Improving Luminar – Soon To Support MacBook Pro Touch Bar - December 1, 2016
- Microsoft Surface Studio From A Photographer’s POV – First Look - November 29, 2016
- Photofocus Products of the Year – Compilation - November 28, 2016