One of my favorite features in Lightroom also seems to be one that is typically under-appreciated. Have you ever noticed that little paint-can icon in the toolbar below your photos in the Library module? This feature, in my opinion, is one of the single most powerful tools in Lightroom, especially if you are an organization freak (like me).
In a nutshell, the “Painter” tool allows you to quickly apply settings to photos with one click (metadata, keywords, presets, and more). It’s great when you are scanning your photos in Grid view and want to quickly apply your settings without viewing the images up close.
Here’s how the Painter Tool works:
1. First, in the Library module in Grid view, click on the Painter icon in the toolbar below the preview window. (If you can’t see the toolbar, just press the T key on your keyboard.)
2. Next, choose what you want to “paint” on your photos. For this example, I will be painting the keyword “Clouds”.
3. Then, click on a photo to “paint” your settings on that photo. It’s that simple!
Here are some ideas on how you can use the Painter tool in Lightroom:
- Add keywords to photos to sync with a smart collection
- Apply a specific Develop preset to files in Grid View
- Label your images with a certain color (good for organizing groups of images, such as HDR, panoramas, etc.)
- Add images to your Target Collection in Grid View
Watch this short animation to see how I use the Painter Tool in Lightroom to keyword my images:
Do you use the Painter Tool in Lightroom? Tell us how you use it in the comments below!
Also, did you pick up our new eBook on Lightroom? Click here for more details!
Nicole S. Young is a professional photographer living in Portland, Oregon. She is the author of several print books and eBooks, and runs her own online store for photographers, the “Nicolesy Store“.
This Post Sponsored by:
LensRentals.com Be a kid in a camera store. Rent lenses, cameras, lighting and more from the original and best online photographic and video equipment rental company. Use PHOTOFOCUS15 in the checkout special instructions to receive 15% off your next rental.
Photoshop World, the ultimate Photoshop, Photography & Lighting Conference. Las Vegas, NV, September 3-5. Use the promo code PSWFOCUS414 to discount $50 OFF a full conference pass. Learn more in three days than you have in three years!
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to access, manage and share their photos on the go. You can easily view images with their iOS app or in your personal Google Drive account, and you can even star/flag images in the app and sync the changes back to Lightroom on your computer. Be sure to also check out the Lightroom Learning Center to learn new ways to work in Lightroom.
ViewBug Stick With ViewBug & Photofocus throughout 2014 – because we’re announcing the biggest contest in Photofocus history — coming soon!