Are you looking to be a faster Photoshop User? There are several different ways to get to the tools you need inside Photoshop.
- You can click the tool icon.
- To access nested tools (those that share the same well), click and hold the mouse button on the tool icon.
- You can also hold down the Option (Alt) key and click an individual tool in the Tools panel to cycle tools.
- You can press the letter shortcut key. Hovering over a tool’s icon will teach you the shortcut keys when the tool tip pops up.
- Move Tool (V)
- Rectangular Marquee and Elliptical Marquee Tools (M)
- Lasso, Polygonal Lasso, and Magnetic Lasso Tools (L)
- Quick Selection Tool and Magic Wand Tools (W )
- Crop, Perspective Crop, Slice, Slice Select Tools (C)
- Eyedropper, Color Sampler, Ruler, Note, and Count Tools (I)
- Spot Healing Brush, Healing Brush, Patch, Content Aware Move, and Red Eye Tools (J)
- Brush, Pencil, Color Replacement, and Mixer Brush Tools (B)
- Clone Stamp and Pattern Stamp Tools (S)
- History Brush and Art History Brush Tools (Y)
- Eraser, Background Eraser, Magic Eraser Tools (E)
- Gradient and Paint Bucket Tools (G)
- Dodge, Burn, and Sponge Tools (O)
- Pen and Freeform Pen Tools (P)
- Horizontal Type, Vertical Type, Horizontal Type Mask, and Vertical Type Mask Tools (T)
- Path Selection and Direct Selection Tools (A)
- Rectangle, Rounded Rectangle, Ellipse, Polygon, Line, and Custom Shape Tools (U)
- Hand Tool (H)
- Rotate View Tool (R)
- Zoom Tool (Z)
- To switch to a nested tool, hold down the Shift key and press the tool’s shortcut key.
- If the Shift key is an extra step you’d rather not use, modify your user preferences. Press Command+K (Ctrl+K) to call up your General Preferences screen. Deselect the check box next to Use Shift Key for Tool Switch.
I hope these simple tips make you a bit faster in Photoshop. I’ll be teaching at Photoshop World if you want to catch up and go deeper.
This Post Sponsored by:
LensRentals.com Be a kid in a camera store. Rent lenses, cameras, lighting and more from the original and best online photographic and video equipment rental company. Use PHOTOFOCUS15 in the checkout special instructions to receive 15% off your next rental.
Photoshop World, the ultimate Photoshop, Photography & Lighting Conference. Las Vegas, NV, September 3-5. Use the promo code PSWFOCUS414 to discount $50 OFF a full conference pass. Learn more in three days than you have in three years!
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to access, manage and share their photos on the go. You can easily view images with their iOS app or in your personal Google Drive account, and you can even star/flag images in the app and sync the changes back to Lightroom on your computer. Be sure to also check out the Lightroom Learning Center to learn new ways to work in Lightroom.
ViewBug Stick With ViewBug & Photofocus throughout 2014 – because we’re announcing the biggest contest in Photofocus history — coming soon!