I recently took a Nikon D5300 camera on a road trip through Las Vegas and Utah. This is a recent release for Nikon and it’s a camera that has a few new features that really stand out. The camera also performed much better than the previous model, the 5200, which I tested last year.
Things I Like
This camera is purely targeted at photo enthusiasts. It is a reasonably priced DSLR that is quite small. This camera offers the ability to transport easily while still offering the flexibility of interchangeable lenses and longer battery life.
- 24.2 megapixels. The images shot on this camera are very high resolution. The camera’s sensor matches the D7100.
- 5 frames per second. This should be plenty fast for most enthusiasts. Capture action and candid shots easily.
- Built in WiFi, connect to Smart devices. In a welcome move, gone are adapters, dongles, or special cards. Simply turn it on and connect via a computer or a dedicated app for mobile. Easily download images and even take basic controls of the camera.
- Built in GPS. Tag your images or even keep a log of where you’ve been on a trip.
- 1080/60p Full HD H-Movie. The video features are not on par withe the pro bodies (like the D600) but do offer quality video for personal use.
- Vari-angle swivel LCD monitor. You can easily position the LiveView panel for different shooting styles and angle. The display was crisp and easy to read.
- Autofocus. The camera uses a 39-point high-density autofocus system with 9 cross-type sensors. It was snappy and performed fairly well in my tests.
This is a great camera for an entry-level or hobbyist. With that said, I was able to produce high-quality images. The WiFi feature and robustness of its raw files really stand out.
This Post Sponsored by:
Viewbug Stick With Viewbug & Photofocus throughout 2014 – because we’re announcing the biggest contest in Photofocus history — coming soon!
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to manage and share their photos. You can easily view images with their iOS app or web service. Plus your photos are backed up to the cloud with several plans to match your needs.
The Topaz Labs Image Enhancement bundle. Open up a world of creative possibilities with a seamless, integrated workflow. You don’t need to be a Photoshop wizard to look like one. Click here and use the code photofocus to get a 15% discount.