This is a joint article by Melissa Niu and Rich Harrington.
Adobe announced the new Lightroom 5.2 update that is now available for download. This update release will provide some extra camera raw support, new lens profile support. We sat down with Lightroom Project Manager Sharad Mangalick to discuss the new update and Adobe Camera Raw.
New Features in Lightroom 5.2
- Spot Healing Tool Improvements. The spot healing brush does a better job of detecting areas like rocks, bark, and foliage. It also has feather controls for better edge blending.
- Auto Exposure. It just works better. The algorithm is improved to give more consistent results across images.
- Faster Local Adjustment Brush. There are two changes to make it easier to work with the local adjustment brush. You can now right-click on a brush to access a context menu of shortcuts. Your can also Option/Alt drag it to clone the adjustment.
- Color Noise Reduction Smoothness. You can now adjust the smoothness for Color Noise Reduction under the Detail Panel. This can prevent artifacts especially in the lower frequencies.
- Smart Previews Update. Smart Preview size has been updated to 2560 pixels on the long edge. This is a small change, but ties in to back-end performance.
I’m a big fan of tethered shooting (especially for my timelapse, macro, and table-top work). Lightroom adds additional support for more cameras.
- Canon EOS 6D
- Canon EOS Rebel T5i / EOS 700D / EOS Kiss X7i
- Canon EOS Rebel SL1 / EOS 100D / EOS Kiss X7
- Nikon D7100
More Cameras & Lenses
Adobe has built in support for more cameras and lenses. This means better native workflows and faster auto-correction. In fact they’ve even added some cameras that aren’t yet shipping, which shows how on the ball they are.
New Camera Support in Lightroom 5.2
- Canon EOS 70D
- Canon PowerShot G16
- Canon PowerShot S120
- Casio Exilim EX-ZR800
- Fujifilm FinePix HS22EXR
- Fujifilm FinePix HS35EXR
- Fujifilm FinePix S205EXR
- Fujifilm X-A1
- Fujifilm X-M1
- Leica C (Typ 112)
- Olympus OM-D E-M1
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ72
- Pentax Q7
- Pentax K-50
- Pentax K-500
- Sony DSC-RX100 II
- Sony A3000 (ILCE-3000)
- Sony NEX-5T
New Lens Profile Support in Lightroom 5.2
- Sony Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
- Hasselblad Hasselblad LF16mm F2.8
- Hasselblad Hasselblad LF18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
- Hasselblad Hasselblad LF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
- GoPro GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
- GoPro GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition
- GoPro GoPro Hero 3 White Edition
- Leica Leica TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH.
- Canon SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A013
- Canon, Nikon,
- Sigma SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM S013
- Nikon SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A013
- Olympus, Sony SIGMA 60mm F2.8 DN A013
- Pentax, Sony SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM C013
- Pentax, Sony SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A012
- Nikon Nikon 1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2
- Sony Sony DSC-RX1R
A few other things to point out. If you are an avid GoPro user and even have some Leica, Hasselblad or Sigma lenses, the list of updated supported lens have been added to the full house package of supported profiles. To see an in-depth look into the profiles and supported cameras, head to the Lightroom Journal here.
- Lightroom 5.2:
This Post Sponsored by:
Mosaic A complete solution for photographers using Lightroom who want to manage and share their photos. You can easily view images with their iOS app or web service. Plus your photos are backed up to the cloud with several plans to match your needs.
500px Join the world’s premier photo community. 500px lets you discover, share, buy and sell inspiring photographs.
Drobo Not only is Drobo 5D fast, but it’s easy-to-use, expandable, flexible, and protected.
The Topaz Labs Image Enhancement bundle. Open up a world of creative possibilities with a seamless, integrated workflow. You don’t need to be a Photoshop wizard to look like one. Click here and use the code photofocus to get a 15% discount.