nikcollectionbygoogle

WIthin a few days of killing Snapseed, Google has announced a major price reduction in the price for the Nik plugins.

The six plugins (HDR Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2, Viveza 2, Sharpener Pro 3, and Dfine 2) are now in a single bundle costing $149  (versus the previous $499).  The individual plugins are no longer for sale, only the bundle can be purchased.

Google does promise an interesting upgrade to its users…

“If you’ve already purchased one or more Nik plug-ins in the past, then don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In fact: we’re going to upgrade you to the entire Nik Collection by Google for free. Just keep an eye out for emailed instructions in the next few days.”

Be sure you update your contact info in the Google database if you want to be contacted.

You can visit niksoftware.com for more information.

Do you think this is an attempt to grow the market or a fire sale?

______

lynda.com Learn photography anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace—from bite-sized tutorials to comprehensive courses. Try lynda.com free for 10 days by visiting lynda.com/​Photofocus.

Skip Cohen University Professional photo education for wedding & portrait photographers.

ThingLink offers an interactive, online photo experience like nothing you’ve seen before. Join for free.

Drobo – Not only is Drobo 5D fast, but it’s easy-to-use, expandable, flexible, and protected.

1. NIK does provide an exceptional product. I’m pretty certain that those that may not have tried all their products will be pleasantly surprised. It’s a good move on Google’s part.

2. I wouldn’t trust any plugin Google developed/modified, in any event. Google thinks only of Google. I’m sure the people at OnOne and Topaz are flipping the bird to The Almighty “G” Thing.

3. It may be war, but for me this was the difference between buy and not buy. I had wanted to use the Nik plugins but found OnOne more affordable. But I hadn’t upgraded On1 on price grounds

4. As a long time user of Nik Color Efex and Viveza (since it’s been out) this is an awesome opportunity for people who have never tried the plugins. I also enjoy the B&W plugin but many of my architectural images have a certain amoutn of Tonal Contrast filter applied from the Color Efex plugin. I will look forward to adding the other filters to Photoshop when they offer this impending upgrade option.

5. I was honorably given a refund having just purchased the set at former full price. It appears that NIK will keep all its staff engineers and development team. They assured me that they are NOT having a fire sale, that this upgrade and discount was in the works and that a strong future awaits. I tend to believe them. The new all in one product also gets rid of the problems with activation codes and multiple activations. Yea!

6. It could be brillant marketing strategy. At the previous price, the software was hard to justify. At this price, it is a no brainer! I bought it and I know three other people that purchased it. So look at it this way, Google just got $600 from four people that had no intension to buy at the $499 price.

7. ..and the Nik software discount codes (try Google) give you a further 15% off

8. I purchased Silver Efex Pro a while ago. I love the program but would not deal with google. I recently had a new hard drive installed and now can’t access the software I purchased. It wants me to buy it again. I have tried to contact SOMEONE in customer service since all I get is google. That has been virtually impossible. I just want the program I already purchased. I should buy another when I can’t get the first one back? I don’t think so!

9. Great move by Google. Price was attractive , so, I purchased the collection. Hope that they follow Topaz’ lead and provide upgrades for free and new products at introduction discounts.

Bill Brennan

10. I’ve been a very pleased user of nik for years, only hope that google can do as good a job of keeping a quality product available and supported. Thanks nik

11. I bought the Color Efex Pro 4 plugin last year and contacted Google providing them my invoice details from Nik Software and they contacted me shortly afterwards with a link to download my upgrade to the full suite of Nik plugins. They are true to their word. I also use the OnOne suite of plugins. What one suite doesn’t have the other one does…it is the best of both worlds.

About Richard Harrington

Richard Harrington is the founder of RHED Pixel, a visual communications company based in Washington, D.C. He is the Publisher of Photofocus and Creative Cloud User as well as an author on Lynda.com. Rich has authored several books including From Still to Motion, Understanding Photoshop, Professional Web Video, and Creating DSLR Video.

News