February 10, 2009

New Nikon 35mm Lens

Nikon Inc. announced the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens. It’s a fixed focal length, fast-aperture DX-format lens that affords photographers using crop sensor cameras the versatility of the classic 50mm focal length (FX-format equivalent of 52mm).

“The development and release of the 35mm f/1.8 NIKKOR lens delivers new and added versatility to the Nikon DX-format digital SLR system and provides DX-format photographers with a broader range of fast-aperture lens options,” said Edward Fasano, general manager for marketing, SLR Systems Products at Nikon Inc. “This f/1.8 prime lens provides users with exceptional control of background and foreground, superb low-light ability, and the natural focal length that has been the staple of photography since its inception.”

The lens is light and allows a close focus distance of 0.98 feet, while the integration of an ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, whisper-quiet AF operation.

The 35mm DX lens construction consists of eight elements in three groups, with an aspherical element to reduce size and weight, while contributing to the enhanced balance when mounted on a smaller DX-format D-SLR. A rounded diaphragm opening combined with the nine-blade aperture contributes to a substantially more circular bokeh for a more natural appearance of out-of-focus background elements. Additionally, instances of lens flare and chromatic aberration are suppressed using Nikon’s exclusive Super Integrated Coatings, which also help ensure vividly accurate color balance.

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G major Features

• DX-format, normal single-focal-length lens with 35mm focal length
(picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of 52.5mm in FX and 35mm formats)
• Large maximum aperture of f/1.8
• Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ensures smooth AF operation
• High-performance optical system with aspherical lens delivers superior reproduction capability
• Compact, well-balanced design when attached to small SLRs
• Two focus modes available – M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus)
• Metal mount
• Natural blur effect thanks to seven-blade rounded diaphragm

UPDATE: We received conflicting price information from Nikon which had to do with the price differences between US and Europe pricing. So here is the actual updated info on price and availability…

The AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens is scheduled to be available at Nikon authorized dealers beginning March 2009 at an estimated selling price of $199.95 USA.

Post is made possible by sponsorship from:
Lensbaby

1. How much?

2. How much?

3. So in Canon-speak, this will be like an EF-S 50mm f/1.8 USM?

I wonder what Canon has in store for the future…

4. So in Canon-speak, this will be like an EF-S 50mm f/1.8 USM?

I wonder what Canon has in store for the future…

5. $199 … Pre-order on Amazon here http://tinyurl.com/dzm9mx

6. $199 … Pre-order on Amazon here http://tinyurl.com/dzm9mx

7. Very cool. I’d be interested to get my hands on one of these. A bit more affordable then the 50mm 1.4 AF-S and on a crop sensor like mine would be a nice focal length.

8. hmm, conflicting information: says nine blade aperture, then seven blade diaphram

9. hmm, conflicting information: says nine blade aperture, then seven blade diaphram

10. I have a 50mm 1.8 that I use on my D90… it works great, but I like that Nikon is doing something like this for us DX users. I am so used to shooting the 50mm on a crop sensor, I wouldn’t even know what it feels like shooting with this thing.

I may give it a look.

11. I have a 50mm 1.8 that I use on my D90… it works great, but I like that Nikon is doing something like this for us DX users. I am so used to shooting the 50mm on a crop sensor, I wouldn’t even know what it feels like shooting with this thing.

I may give it a look.

12. This is basically the same as shooting a 50 1.8 on the D3/700/3x, or any 35mm film camera. It’s very tempting to add to my D40’s kit. I really want a fast prime for that camera, but the only thing that will AF with it is the new 50mm 1.4, which is more than I want to spend.

This is very tempting. Thanks for the write-up.

13. oooh…..just what I want and need, but when it comes downunder (Australia) it will be twice the price unfortunately.

14. oooh…..just what I want and need, but when it comes downunder (Australia) it will be twice the price unfortunately.

15. That looks like an awesome lens for my wife’s D40.

16. That looks like an awesome lens for my wife’s D40.

17. 3 years ago both Canon and Nikon were doing great things for pros and people with serious money to spend but the lenses which made their lineups really great were out of the price range for the average photographer.

What make both brands really great are their anti-shake zooms and their fast primes. But if you wanted even the cheapest SLR, any VR zoom and a fast normal prime you were looking at the $2000 range. More money than the average working Joe is willing to spend on a hobby.

This past year Nikon has really tried to correct that with a nice VR zoom and now this prime for around $200 each. Canon has done pretty well at keeping up but still the comparable package would be $100 or $200 more from them.

Two years ago when I bought my Pentax I would have recommended to any really budget conscious photo enthusiast to buy one of the systems like that with in-body VR even though it only gives 1-2 stops of reduction rather than the 3-4 for in-lens systems. Now I would have to advise that same person to seriously consider either Nikon or Canon as well.

18. 3 years ago both Canon and Nikon were doing great things for pros and people with serious money to spend but the lenses which made their lineups really great were out of the price range for the average photographer.

19. I wonder if this is significantly different from my 28mm F1.8 to justify the extra $200 bucks.

20. Just when I had my next three lens purchases all figure out… ;)

21. Just when I had my next three lens purchases all figure out… ;)

22. So–I just bought one of these for my girlfriends’ D40x (Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens). I can still return it. Would this new lens be a better choice?

23. This is going to be awesome for me. I’ll be buying it the day it becomes available. I have a 50 1.8 that I absolutely love except for 2 things. The 50 on my D40 really makes it around 80mm and sometimes it’s a little too close for me, although I do like to use it as a macro, and I can only manually focus. I don’t mind manually focusing if it’s something I can take my time on, but I have to use my glasses and it’s not always perfect, so I’m looking forward to having a 35mm (50mm for me) that will autofocus on my D40. Aside from that, the price point is perfect for me, especially since I was saving my pennies for the Sigma 30mm which is about twice the cost of the nikon.

24. This is going to be awesome for me. I’ll be buying it the day it becomes available. I have a 50 1.8 that I absolutely love except for 2 things. The 50 on my D40 really makes it around 80mm and sometimes it’s a little too close for me, although I do like to use it as a macro, and I can only manually focus. I don’t mind manually focusing if it’s something I can take my time on, but I have to use my glasses and it’s not always perfect, so I’m looking forward to having a 35mm (50mm for me) that will autofocus on my D40. Aside from that, the price point is perfect for me, especially since I was saving my pennies for the Sigma 30mm which is about twice the cost of the nikon.

25. Looks like a nice lens, though I picked up a 28mm/f2.8 a while back because I could not find the 35mm/f2.0 lens anywhere (for use on my D70s).

Props to see more AF-S primes from Nikon!

Showing an MSRP of $279.95 from Nikon Canada, specs state a 7 blade rounded diaphragm.

26. Whoops, I meant 35mm.

27. No, it would be like a Canon EF-S 35mm f/1.8 USM?

28. Canon already has an EF 35mm f/2, though it’s backordered at the three reputable sites I’ve looked at. Is there any scuttlebutt on an update?

29. Other than the very slight difference in focal range, I would expect the lenses to perform exactly the same. I’d personally prefer your 28 to get a bit more wide angle.

30. Other than the very slight difference in focal range, I would expect the lenses to perform exactly the same. I’d personally prefer your 28 to get a bit more wide angle.

31. In the sense of auto focus, yes. However perspective, compatability with film bodies and anything else is personal opinion.

32. The nice thing about this lens, the Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG, is that it has consistent sharpness all the way open to F1.8. The draw back is that it’s a pretty big lens. It has the largest girth of all my lenses less than 100mm and pretty heavy to boot. I’d be into the 35mm F1.8 f it was about half the weight and still delivered n sharpness open to F1.8.

33. The nice thing about this lens, the Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG, is that it has consistent sharpness all the way open to F1.8. The draw back is that it’s a pretty big lens. It has the largest girth of all my lenses less than 100mm and pretty heavy to boot. I’d be into the 35mm F1.8 f it was about half the weight and still delivered n sharpness open to F1.8.

34. Thanks…The autofocus is a big deal for both of us cause we both wear specs. I got the other lense to get clear portrait shots, and some depth of field that puts the subject up front. I hope I am on the right track. I listen every week, but I am still struggling with terms, and trying to take pictures daily, as is my g/f.

News