February 9, 2009

More Canon 5D Problems

Service Notice: EOS 5D: Main Mirror Detachment

Thank you for using Canon products.

We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the strength of the adhesive. Accordingly, we would like to convey the details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon.

We offer our sincerest apologies to those customers who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers and we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

Phenomenon
The main mirror of the camera detaches and images cannot be viewed through the viewfinder.

Affected products
EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras whose main mirror has detached.

User Support
We will repair and reinforce the mirror portion of the affected products free of charge. If you own one of the affected products, please contact our Customer Support Center.

We appreciate your patience, and we offer our sincerest apologies to the customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by this issue.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Contact Information for Inquiries
Customer Support Center
1-866-422-2965 (toll free)
8:00 a.m. – Midnight, EST (M-F)
10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., EST (Sat.)
Email: [email protected]

Post made possible by sponsorship from:
Lensbaby

1. Hi Scott, may be worthwhile emphasising that this fault is on the original 5D and not the current Mark II

2. Hi Scott, may be worthwhile emphasising that this fault is on the original 5D and not the current Mark II

3. More? What were the earlier problems?

4. More? What were the earlier problems?

5. What were the other problems? We’re talking about the original 5D here right?

6. What were the other problems? We’re talking about the original 5D here right?

7. Take it easy folks – the original 5D was one of the first Canon cameras to suffer from actual (rather than perceived) back focus. And this is the second time (at least second time for me) that I’ve heard of mirror problems – although the original problems appeared to be related to heat and I am not sure if these new mirror problems are related.

8. Take it easy folks – the original 5D was one of the first Canon cameras to suffer from actual (rather than perceived) back focus. And this is the second time (at least second time for me) that I’ve heard of mirror problems – although the original problems appeared to be related to heat and I am not sure if these new mirror problems are related.

9. I just experienced it myself last Wednesday. I am thankful that the rear element of my lens did not get damaged and that I had a spare camera on hand =p Its quite scary to shoot then see your viewfinder go black! Sent in my camera on Thursday and got it back on Friday.

Apparently this was not the first time this happened as the previous owner had sent it in once before. It appears the extra or new adhesive used previously didn’t cut it the first time around. I hope this new fix permanently solves the issue.

10. I just experienced it myself last Wednesday. I am thankful that the rear element of my lens did not get damaged and that I had a spare camera on hand =p Its quite scary to shoot then see your viewfinder go black! Sent in my camera on Thursday and got it back on Friday.

11. Between the mirror problems, the spots on the 1D series, and the edge Nikon has in noise handling, it does look like Canon is losing ground, and rather quickly in this competitive market.

12. Between the mirror problems, the spots on the 1D series, and the edge Nikon has in noise handling, it does look like Canon is losing ground, and rather quickly in this competitive market.

13. Is the 5DII mirror different to other Canon mirrors? Do they use *better* glue in others?

If so, sounds like the economy is biting them…

14. Is the 5DII mirror different to other Canon mirrors? Do they use *better* glue in others?

If so, sounds like the economy is biting them…

15. This happened to my 5D on xmas day just passed, not only did the mirror become detatched, it chipped, and then wedged itself up in to the focus screen. Canon replaced the entire mirror box in my case, at no cost, as they had seen the problem before.. All is working well now thankfully. It was rather heartbreaking at the time. Canon did the repairs in only 3 days, but had indicated it would be 2-3 weeks, so pleasantly surprised by their level of service.

16. This happened to my 5D on xmas day just passed, not only did the mirror become detatched, it chipped, and then wedged itself up in to the focus screen. Canon replaced the entire mirror box in my case, at no cost, as they had seen the problem before.. All is working well now thankfully. It was rather heartbreaking at the time. Canon did the repairs in only 3 days, but had indicated it would be 2-3 weeks, so pleasantly surprised by their level of service.

17. Happened on my Canon 5D. Returned to Canon Australia (at least a year passed warranty) fixed gratis. Thanks Canon, I will definitely purchase again.

18. Happened on my Canon 5D. Returned to Canon Australia (at least a year passed warranty) fixed gratis. Thanks Canon, I will definitely purchase again.

19. Do you have any numbers to back that up? In this economy I don’t think too many people are going to be jumping brands and ditching all their lenses.

20. Do you have any numbers to back that up? In this economy I don’t think too many people are going to be jumping brands and ditching all their lenses.

21. This isn’t so much an observation on current market trends, rather just an observation that Canon has had more mishaps/design flaws in recent times than Nikon. If I were a new consumer to the DSLR market, that would weigh very heavily in my buying preferences.

22. This isn’t so much an observation on current market trends, rather just an observation that Canon has had more mishaps/design flaws in recent times than Nikon. If I were a new consumer to the DSLR market, that would weigh very heavily in my buying preferences.

23. It’s the 5D, not 5DII. The economy had nothing to do with 5D build.

24. It’s the 5D, not 5DII. The economy had nothing to do with 5D build.

News