There are many factors to consider when buying memory cards. Sure I want a fast card, but I also want a reliable card. For me, the Hoodman UDMA cards fit both requirements.

Their 4GB CF RAW cards are down to $99.99; the 8GB CF RAW are $179.99, and 16GB CF RAW cards are $299.99.

They’re NOT TWIP sponsors (although I wish they were), and I selected their products as a result of testing most of the popular brands.

45 MB per second. Built in the USA. Lifetime Warranty. Lead Free. What else do you need?

NOTE: Not all cameras take advantage of UDMA technology. Make sure your camera does before investing in UDMA memory.

UPDATE: I should note I am simply providing an answer here to a question I often receive by e-mail. I am not advocating anyone else use these cards. Use whatever works best for you.

1. I use the Sandisk Extreme line of CF cards for my canon 400D, which is a pretty old camera. In particular, the Extreme III cards 4GB, and I love them, never had probs with their cards.

2. They seem very expensive compared to SanDisk which also provides lifetime garantee and are price at a fraction of the Hoodmans

3. Happy Black Friday Scott!
    Small type in your entry… 1st paragraph you call them USMA cards instead…
    Waiting for my 5D MKII to invest in those UDMA cards myself…
    I actually didn’t realize that Lead Free cards was an concern, or an option?

Cheers!

—michael

4. I have a D2x, how can I find out if these cards would be a benefit?

5. @Atlee they would. @merlyn the “S” and “D” key are too close to each other :)

6. @Michael the SanDisk do cost less – but you imply it’s a great deal less and that’s not true. I personally don’t look for the cheapest option when it comes to securing the data I capture on expensive photo outings. Additionally, the Hoodman cards are able to boast something no other card can…no recorded failures ever.

7. I checked it out but they aren’t available here in Europe. The 0% failure rate is impressive, and worth the extra cost, very “feel safe” factor for me. I always worry about CF card failure I use 2 and 4gb to spread out the shots if one would fail, but still.

8. A great site to check on the performance of cards with selected DSLRS:

Also, a St Louis Black Friday/Sat special:
    Wolf Camera: 3 Sandisk Extreme III 30 mb/s SDHC 4g cards for $60 with a $60 rebate! If the rebate comes thru, I picked up 3 cards which were just released in September – for free!

I even asked the clerk if she was absolutely sure as I figured I’d be getting the older 20 mb/s edition. Wow

9. All electronics fail eventually, it’s just the nature of electronic components no matter how good they are. If Hoodman is advertising “no reported failures” it’s only because their cards have not been around as long as others. The question is, will they fail LESS often than the competition over a comparable time period? That remains to be seen. “Made is the USA” I agree does give you better chances of having good quality control but it doesn’t mean it’s better than everybody else’s QA process.
    Personally I think the best solution against CF failure is in-camera card redundancy (double slots) but unfortunately that only available on top of the line cameras only.

I have read some good reviews on the Hoodman cards though, I hope they work out great for you.

10. @Rob not just electronics. EVERYTHING – including you and me will fail. There is however no proof that time is the ONLY reason their cards haven’t failed. Just wanted to correct you there since that’s inaccurate. It is probably a factor, but based on my experience, i.e. I have been using memory cards since the days of the IBM Microdrives, the Hoodmans are the best built and most reliable.

And I totally agree multiple card slots are the answer – hence my D3 :)

11. The Hoodman cards do seem to be superior in performance, build, and reliability. Many have raved about them, including the well-known Scott Kelby of NAPP: http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1353

12. I’m sure my xti doesn’t take advantage of UDMA so I scoff at those prices, but the Hoodman product I love (yeah, hyperbole, but not by much) is their firewire card reader. I don’t know whether the USB readers I used prior to getting the FW800/400 compact flash reader were simply generic junk or whether USB really is that slow (though I read somewhere that USB performance is extra slow under os X) but using it was a revelation. Downloads that were coffee break long (or longer) are now over in minutes. Card speed may not matter to my camera, but when dealing with gigabytes of data download speeds matter a lot.

(Also, wolf/ritz sold out quickly on that card deal: however, the local “pro” shop also advertised the extreme III for $20, but apparently weren’t allowed by sandisk to advertise the accompanying rebate…)

13. Scott – what do you use in your D90?

14. @John I use the same cards because that’s all I have.

Opinion