November 24, 2008

Sigma 100-300 Unboxing

Sigma 100-300 Unboxing from Scott Bourne on Vimeo.

If you want to see the full-res version watch it on my Vimeo page.

As a bonus, I add a LensCoat lens cover to this lens.

1. I appreciated the lens coat demo. I’ve never used them before. I might consider it. I have been places with my lenses where I think I probably should have had something like that…

2. I appreciated the lens coat demo. I’ve never used them before. I might consider it. I have been places with my lenses where I think I probably should have had something like that…

3. Thanks for the video Scott,

Did you consider the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 at all? I read some mixed reviews about the AF on the 120-300 so I’m quite curious how your new lens will perform.

James
    Freiburg, Germany

4. Thanks for the video Scott,

James
    Freiburg, Germany

5. Scott,

I have this lens and found it great for birds in flight and have even used it for fighter jets in flight. Like the lens coat, I will look into one of those for my lens. Hope you have a good time with the lens, look forward to hearing your feedback.

Cheers
    Ken

6. @James I didn’t give it much consideration because of its size.

@Tyler unfortunately no. But it isn’t priced like a VR lens either.

7. @James I didn’t give it much consideration because of its size.

@Tyler unfortunately no. But it isn’t priced like a VR lens either.

8. Why did you not go withe the Nikon 300mm f/4.0 AF-S??

9. Why did you not go withe the Nikon 300mm f/4.0 AF-S??

10. @George I gave that careful consideration and still may get that lens, but I wanted a zoom lens. Since birds in flight often vary their flight paths, there are times when a 300 is too much lens.

11. @George I gave that careful consideration and still may get that lens, but I wanted a zoom lens. Since birds in flight often vary their flight paths, there are times when a 300 is too much lens.

12. I just purchased the Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX and I’m loving it. The lens size is monstrous for a 28mm prime lens, but it’s consistently sharp open to F1.8. Of course, this lens is about a third of the cost of the 100-300 F4. These Sigma EX lenses are a great fit for me because I don’t have as much resources to devote to the most expensive Nikon lenses. I appreciate your enthusiasm with sharing.

13. I just purchased the Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX and I’m loving it. The lens size is monstrous for a 28mm prime lens, but it’s consistently sharp open to F1.8. Of course, this lens is about a third of the cost of the 100-300 F4. These Sigma EX lenses are a great fit for me because I don’t have as much resources to devote to the most expensive Nikon lenses. I appreciate your enthusiasm with sharing.

14. Does Scott have giant hands or is this lens surprisingly small?

15. Does Scott have giant hands or is this lens surprisingly small?

16. Scott:

Why don’t you put your videos on i-Tunes any more? I spend a lot of time on the road, and I like to take TWIP with me!

17. Scott:

18. Because of complaints about the videos – everything from you want them a different place to you want higher production values, I probably won’t be making many more.

19. Because of complaints about the videos – everything from you want them a different place to you want higher production values, I probably won’t be making many more.

20. Scott, don’t be turned off by the vocal minority about the video complaints. You are providing a free service! I don’t care how you make the videos or how you distribute them as long as I can get to it. I enjoy your videos and I have learned a lot from them. Please keep making them. Where else would get a glimpse of a real photographer’s experience with a 300 – 800mm lens?

21. Scott, don’t be turned off by the vocal minority about the video complaints. You are providing a free service! I don’t care how you make the videos or how you distribute them as long as I can get to it. I enjoy your videos and I have learned a lot from them. Please keep making them. Where else would get a glimpse of a real photographer’s experience with a 300 – 800mm lens?

22. Scott:

I’m shattered! I love your videos, and intended no criticism. I thought you would like the feedback. It’s just easier for me to watch on iTunes. I thought it would be helpful for you to know where your fans are watching.

23. Scott:

24. Scott:
    Sorry if you thought my comment was criticism. Was not ment to be. I just thought it was funny how you were trying to unbox the lens with one hand and film with the other while a tripod set in the back ground.

I loved the info on the lens coat and am getting one soon.

Thanks

25. Scott:

I loved the info on the lens coat and am getting one soon.

Thanks