October 4, 2008

Model Releases

I am CONSTANTLY receiving e-mail from TWIP listeners who would like a sample model release. Because I am not an attorney, I cannot give legal advice. What I can do is let you see a copy of the standard model release that I use. If you decide to rely on this, do so at your own risk. It’s never let me down, but your location, jurisdiction and circumstances may dictate whether or not this release would serve your purposes.

Adult Model Release (Intended for use in USA only)

In consideration of my engagement as a model and for other valuable consideration received, to-wit: ___________________ (list payment whether cash, prints, etc.) I hereby give
_____________________________________________ (“Photographer”) and Photographer’s heirs, legal
representatives, and assigns the irrevocable, perpetual, and unrestricted right to take and use photographs
of me taken by the Photographer (“Photographs”) in all forms, media and manners, in conjunction with
my own or a fictitious name, for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purposes.

I hereby waive any right to review or approve the Photographs, the use of the Photographs, or the matter that may be used in conjunction with the Photographs now and in the future, regardless of whether that use or matter is known to me.

I hereby waive any right to royalties or other compensation arising from or related to the use of the Photographs. I release, discharge, and agree to hold harmless Photographer and Photographer’s heirs, legal representatives, and assigns from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form, whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking, processing, or publication of the Photographs. This release shall be binding upon me and my heirs, legal representatives, and assigns.

I hereby attest that I am of the age of majority and a resident of the United States. I attest that I read and write the English language and that I have read this entire document. I attest that I sign this document of my own free will, under no duress of any kind.

Model’s Full Name:

____________________________________________________________________________________

Model’s Address:

Model’s Signature:

Date Signed:

1. Hey Scott I have a few questions about this. Do you end up explaining half of this to the people signing it? I understand that this is designed for real models who are probably used to this kind of thing but it seems like it might be a little complicated for someone that you might bump into at the park and take photos of. Am I right there or would you use this release in every situation?

2. Hey Scott I have a few questions about this. Do you end up explaining half of this to the people signing it? I understand that this is designed for real models who are probably used to this kind of thing but it seems like it might be a little complicated for someone that you might bump into at the park and take photos of. Am I right there or would you use this release in every situation?

3. On the advice of my attorney I always use AT LEAST this detailed of a release. In situations involving nudes or sensitive material I might use something even more detailed. I do NOT explain anything, again on the advice of my attorney who tells me that doing so could invalidate the release. I simply say something like, “This is a document my lawyer asks me to get models to sign so I don’t get sued when we publish the photos. Please read it and sign it and I’ll get you your check, prints, etc.”

In more than three decades of using model releases, I’ve never had anyone say no. One of the keys is making sure I deliver on the “consideration.” If I promise prints, I get them out the next business day. If I promise cash, I pay it on the spot and get a receipt regardless of the consideration.

4. On the advice of my attorney I always use AT LEAST this detailed of a release. In situations involving nudes or sensitive material I might use something even more detailed. I do NOT explain anything, again on the advice of my attorney who tells me that doing so could invalidate the release. I simply say something like, “This is a document my lawyer asks me to get models to sign so I don’t get sued when we publish the photos. Please read it and sign it and I’ll get you your check, prints, etc.”

5. A quick google search for PDF’s from .co.uk sites with “Model release” in them turns up a lot , if you’re worried that this dffers to UK ones, although the majority of it is the same, just a bit of nomencalture I suppose

6. A quick google search for PDF’s from .co.uk sites with “Model release” in them turns up a lot , if you’re worried that this dffers to UK ones, although the majority of it is the same, just a bit of nomencalture I suppose

7. You know, there are pre-made ones you can download and use here:

DIY planner makes pdf templates for people to print out and re-fill their planners, and a while back I found this. They come in 5.5″ x 8.5″ for Adult and Underage Models.

Just a little something to make Scott’s life easier. Saludos from Puerto Rico!

8. You know, there are pre-made ones you can download and use here:

Just a little something to make Scott’s life easier. Saludos from Puerto Rico!

9. Remember to print a few out and throw them into your camera bag with a pen. You never know when you will need one. Put in in the same pocket as your rights printout http://krages.com/phoright.htm

10. Remember to print a few out and throw them into your camera bag with a pen. You never know when you will need one. Put in in the same pocket as your rights printout http://krages.com/phoright.htm

11. You left out the most important part–the model’s phone number!

12. You left out the most important part–the model’s phone number!

13. @Pat the information on this website is free. Model’s phone numbers cost money :)

But I will let her know of your interest. I am taking her to lunch on Friday :)

14. @Pat the information on this website is free. Model’s phone numbers cost money :)

But I will let her know of your interest. I am taking her to lunch on Friday :)

15. [...] a comment » Over on the TWIP blog, Scott Bourne has posted a U.S. model release for photographers to give to their victims. Legally, you do need this if the photo is being [...]

16. [...] a comment » Over on the TWIP blog, Scott Bourne has posted a U.S. model release for photographers to give to their victims. Legally, you do need this if the photo is being [...]

Technique & Tutorials