This is the shortest tip I’ve ever written, but may be the most important…

Where light and shadow fall on your subject – that is the essence of expression and art through photography.

1. Perhaps this is the best tip ever.

2. Gorgeous photo and great quote. Not quite what I’d call a tip, but it’s a great idea to ponder which leads the reader down the path of determining what that really means–how can the qualities of light and shadow separate a picture from a photograph. I look forward to tips that explore this further.

3. Forget a thousand words, this one photograph is filled with emotion. Depending on your mood it can represent peace, concern, loneliness, love, or so much more, all with the use of light and shadow. Of all the tips I find this one to have said the least but given the most. It almost boarders on philosophy. Guru Bourne?

Thank you Scott.

4. Forget a thousand words, this one photograph is filled with emotion. Depending on your mood it can represent peace, concern, loneliness, love, or so much more, all with the use of light and shadow. Of all the tips I find this one to have said the least but given the most. It almost boarders on philosophy. Guru Bourne?

Thank you Scott.

5. Excellent tip and so true. Here is an extreme example of light and shadow.

Disregard the last link, use this link…http://plasticpalm.smugmug.com/photos/354703710_Lw3uP-M.jpg

6. Excellent tip and so true. Here is an extreme example of light and shadow.

7. The only question I have, on a photo like this where should you best focus or worry about focus? Lighting would definately be the biggest concern but I see the main focus on the hair in back of and above the right temple.
    Ah, Thank you again O-Great-One-Bourne!

8. The only question I have, on a photo like this where should you best focus or worry about focus? Lighting would definately be the biggest concern but I see the main focus on the hair in back of and above the right temple.
    Ah, Thank you again O-Great-One-Bourne!

9. Sometimes the most obvious things are the most over-looked. We all need to go back to the basics sometimes, I find that it is often too easy to get wrapped up in all the technical details and forget about the most important aspect of photography: LIGHT.

10. Sometimes the most obvious things are the most over-looked. We all need to go back to the basics sometimes, I find that it is often too easy to get wrapped up in all the technical details and forget about the most important aspect of photography: LIGHT.

11. Perhaps a bit more elaboration might be helpful?

12. Perhaps a bit more elaboration might be helpful?

13. I think it’s a zen-like statement. The only thing cameras can capture is light, understand it, take advantage of it and even control it to take a better picture. Maybe it’s easy to forget that.

OK, some cameras can capture GPS locations and other data, but without light, that location data is of little value.

14. I think it’s a zen-like statement. The only thing cameras can capture is light, understand it, take advantage of it and even control it to take a better picture. Maybe it’s easy to forget that.

Shooting