I’ve been following Lensbaby literally since their first day in business. It’s a company founded by photographers. They NEVER seem to let up. They’ve just announced a completely new lens, based on a ball and socket configuration that delivers smooth selective focus photography with unparalleled ease.

The new Composer retains its position after being bent and is easy to use even with one hand. Photographers no longer have to squeeze the lens to focus, but can simply tilt the lens to a desired angle and then focus with a traditional barrel focusing ring. The Composer stays in the desired bent position without requiring a locking mechanism and features the new Lensbaby Optic Swap System.

The Composer features a unique manual focus design which requires more rotation to move the optic as you approach infinity. This makes it easier to focus on objects at intermediate and distant depths than regular manual focus lenses.

The price is $270 and the lenses will be available in four to six weeks. Never fear, we expect to have one in the TWIP shop sooner than that and will give you a full review.

For more information go to Lensbaby’s website.

1. Sweet. I knew I was holding out on the Lensbaby 3G for a reason!

2. ACK!
    Of course, I had to have just bought a 2.0 Lensbaby!
    Oh well, I still love the damn thing! :)

3. I am pre-ordering mine today!

4. I’m just glad that they are showing Sony some love.

5. I’d like to request an in depth comparison between this new Lensbaby model and a ‘real’ tilt-shift lens from Canon/Nikon. There’s obviously a significant difference in cost. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

6. Wow… I can’t say that I am totally enthused with this announcement as I just purchased the 3G last week. Would love to see a comparo to see if I should find that receipt…

7. LOL @ Mike Park I’m with you on that one. I’ve been wanting to pick one up for awhile now, glad I’ve held out this long :D

8. Mine arrived tonight! I started a topic with a few photos that I managed to snap but im really looking forward to using it on some changing leaves tomorrow!

News