Photokina announcements are starting to pour in.

We received Nikon’s latest news release announcing the launch of the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G lens…

Cologne, Photokina 2008 – Nikon Europe is pleased to announce the introduction of a new wide aperture fixed-focal length NIKKOR lens, the 50-mm AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G. This lens has a fast maximum aperture of f/1.4 respectively for a bright viewfinder experience, beautiful background blur with shallow depth of field.

It also incorporates Nikon’s ultra-compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) ring-type for silent, fast and accurate focusing and enables autofocus in cameras without a built-in motor such as the Nikon D40 and Nikon D60.

The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G lens is a fast, fixed focal-length lens with normal picture angle when used with Nikon’s FX-format D-SLR cameras. Its newly developed optical system delivers high performance, as it efficiently corrects sagittal coma flare and chromatic aberration.

The SWM ring type offers smooth and quiet AF operation. Although all lens groups shift during focusing, the front element and filter mount does not rotate and the barrel length does not change, ideal for close-up photography or when using SB-R200 Wireless Remote Speedlight units.

The AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G has two focus modes, M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus). With its rounded nine-blade diaphragm, out-of-focus elements appear more natural. When mounted on a DX-format SLR, the picture angle is equivalent to a focal length of about 75mm in 35mm format.

List Price     • $439 (US)
• £280 (UK)
• €383 (EUR)

Maximum aperture     F1.4
Minimum aperture     F16

Filter thread
• 58 mm

• Front and rear caps
• HB-47 Bayonet Hood
• CL-1013 Lens Pouch
Weight     290g (10.2 oz)

1. I think this will be a nice update…. a little modern optical design + SWM focusing will certainly be welcome additions. I’d like to see the rest of Nikon’s fast prime lineup get the same treatment.

2. I think this will be a nice update…. a little modern optical design + SWM focusing will certainly be welcome additions. I’d like to see the rest of Nikon’s fast prime lineup get the same treatment.

3. Wow, this sounds much better (& cheaper!) than the equivalent Sigma lens.

4. Wow, this sounds much better (& cheaper!) than the equivalent Sigma lens.

5. I’ve been debating what to replace my damaged 50 1.4 with, and holding off on buying the sigma 50mm since I was really hoping Nikon would debut a new one this year at Photokina :-)

I can’t wait to see someone test the new lens, will reviewers get to take a look at the lens before December?

6. I’ve been debating what to replace my damaged 50 1.4 with, and holding off on buying the sigma 50mm since I was really hoping Nikon would debut a new one this year at Photokina :-)

7. I have been waiting for such a lens for my D60! I happened to notice this today on Adorama, and was wondering if it was a misprint or not.

Now I need to decide between this and one of the macro focusing 60mm or 105mm lenses. I can’t get both right now!

8. I have been waiting for such a lens for my D60! I happened to notice this today on Adorama, and was wondering if it was a misprint or not.

9. I *really* wish they would announce a 24mm version of this – I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

10. I *really* wish they would announce a 24mm version of this – I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

11. i’m rocking the old 50 1.4 and LOVE it…

there’s no reason for me to update (D200) but it’s still cool they updated that lens

I use the Sigma 30 1.4 and really like that one too

12. i’m rocking the old 50 1.4 and LOVE it…

I use the Sigma 30 1.4 and really like that one too

13. I would like to see the build quality to compare it to my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D AF lens. You can pickup a mint AF-D version for much less than the new AF-S lens. But it does look tempting. Maybe I need them both. :)

14. I would like to see the build quality to compare it to my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D AF lens. You can pickup a mint AF-D version for much less than the new AF-S lens. But it does look tempting. Maybe I need them both. :)

15. @Rick Huizinga: The Sigma equivalent [for a DX-sensor] would actually be the Sigma 30mm AF-S which is similarly priced to this lens. The Sigma 50mm AF-S is around $500, but I expect that will drop right quick-like when the Nikon 50mm becomes available. So while this is a great move for Nikon, especially because the D700 is full-frame, I still would go with my Sigma 30mm if I had it to do over. That said, a 50mm (80mm on DX-sensor) would still make a great addition to my bag, and if price is similar, I’d go Nikon over third-party.

AF-S on the smaller/consumer bodies seems to be a great way for Nikon to sell new versions of lenses with motor built-in. That’s one purchase I would have made differently had I realized earlier that old lenses would be manual-focus only…

16. @Rick Huizinga: The Sigma equivalent [for a DX-sensor] would actually be the Sigma 30mm AF-S which is similarly priced to this lens. The Sigma 50mm AF-S is around $500, but I expect that will drop right quick-like when the Nikon 50mm becomes available. So while this is a great move for Nikon, especially because the D700 is full-frame, I still would go with my Sigma 30mm if I had it to do over. That said, a 50mm (80mm on DX-sensor) would still make a great addition to my bag, and if price is similar, I’d go Nikon over third-party.

17. I love, love. The Sigma 30. I think, at least for smaller glass in that price-point, Sigmas are better field-grade (i.e. durable & more forgiving).

18. I love, love. The Sigma 30. I think, at least for smaller glass in that price-point, Sigmas are better field-grade (i.e. durable & more forgiving).

19. Doesn’t this AF-S designation mean that it’s not going to use the whole frame on an FX sensor? Maybe this is a sign that Nikon isn’t going to quit the APS-C format any time soon, but that doesn’t help me if I’m looking to move up to an FX sensor eventually.

20. Doesn’t this AF-S designation mean that it’s not going to use the whole frame on an FX sensor? Maybe this is a sign that Nikon isn’t going to quit the APS-C format any time soon, but that doesn’t help me if I’m looking to move up to an FX sensor eventually.

21. This is the lens that D40, D40x and D60 owners have been waiting for. I’m looking for on bargains for the Nikon 50mm F1.4D.

22. This is the lens that D40, D40x and D60 owners have been waiting for. I’m looking for on bargains for the Nikon 50mm F1.4D.

23. Now where is the cheaper AF-S 50mm 1.8 for all those who don’t want to drop the same on the lens as the D40 costs but would still like a autofocusing 50mm.

24. Now where is the cheaper AF-S 50mm 1.8 for all those who don’t want to drop the same on the lens as the D40 costs but would still like a autofocusing 50mm.

25. of course! I just bought a Nikkor 50 1.4 in August…great timing as usual ;-)

26. of course! I just bought a Nikkor 50 1.4 in August…great timing as usual ;-)

27. @JeffDM

AF-S means built in silent wave motor. If it had the designation “DX” then it would mean that it is for cropped (APS-C) sensor.

28. @JeffDM

29. @Josh, I feel your pain. I bought a Nikon D80 in July.

30. @Josh, I feel your pain. I bought a Nikon D80 in July.

31. Wow, so this is what happens when DP Review reviews a lens and find a third party lens better…

32. KSS, OK, you’re right. It looks like I skipped over the line about use on FX-based cameras too. I guess I keep getting the terminology confused.

33. KSS, OK, you’re right. It looks like I skipped over the line about use on FX-based cameras too. I guess I keep getting the terminology confused.

News