Someone asked me the other day what it was that typically attracted my eye to a photographic subject. I think they were assuming that the subject is the most important thing. My answer surprised them. It’s almost always just the light. Light is everything. The best subject in the worst light makes for a terrible photo. But even a common or lackluster subject in pretty light makes at the very least, an interesting photo.

Looking for light instead of subjects is a quick first step to improving your photography. The next time you go out shooting, don’t look for something to photograph. Look for some light to photograph in.

1. Great shot Scott and great advice. I wish I was better at following it.

2. Great shot Scott and great advice. I wish I was better at following it.

3. This is great advice. It just means I need to get up and going earlier to catch the good light.

4. This is great advice. It just means I need to get up and going earlier to catch the good light.

5. Light is the photographers medium. There’s nothing more important.

6. Light is the photographers medium. There’s nothing more important.

7. For us “newbees”, it certainly sounds easier said than done. I know about the early morning or near sunset light. I learned about the light coming through the windows for indoor shots. It’s the hardest to get good light during the rest of the time when I am outside. Any good web sites that talk about learning the light ?

8. For us “newbees”, it certainly sounds easier said than done. I know about the early morning or near sunset light. I learned about the light coming through the windows for indoor shots. It’s the hardest to get good light during the rest of the time when I am outside. Any good web sites that talk about learning the light ?

9. heading out tonight with the 70-200m f/2.8 to snap some creatures. hoping for a nice sunset and birds other than seagulls.

10. heading out tonight with the 70-200m f/2.8 to snap some creatures. hoping for a nice sunset and birds other than seagulls.

11. Wow – I’ve never thought about it in in quite that way before, at least not consciously anyway. Thanks Scott.

12. Wow – I’ve never thought about it in in quite that way before, at least not consciously anyway. Thanks Scott.

Shooting